There are five key questions pastors should ask of their board members and ministry area leaders. Staff and team leaders should ask these same questions of volunteers.
- Am I in it for mission or philanthropy?
- Am I in it for gospel or theology?
- Am I in it for joy or duty?
- Am I in it for perfection or perks?
- Am I in it for Christ or Christianity?
There comes a time when every church member and leader is forced to wonder why they are doing what they are doing. Consider all the hassle, competition, opposition, and hard work. Better to ask … and answer … this question now, than to wait when stress is high. If you can coach your leaders to understand what it means to be “in it” for mission, gospel, joy, quest for perfection, and participation in Christ, they will be better focused and more energized.