I received a post from person on our advanced leadership forum inquiring what questions he should ask while at a search committee interview for a new church position as lead pastor. Here is what I said.
- What is their vision for their church?
- How many pastors have they had in the last 20 years?
- Why did the last pastor leave?
- What do they think a pastor should do?
- How much freedom would I have with worship?
- How do they make decisions in the church?
- Tell me about the quality of your worship. For example, has there been or is there presently any conflict?
- Who do they love the most, their church or the lost in the community?
- How willing are they to do whatever is necessary to reach their community for Christ, including spending money?
Of course, they may then turn you down, but at least you know where you stand.
Question: What other questions would you add to this list? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.