I was asked what a church’s leadership covenant should include. I’ve done a training on that for the Conflict CPR Training Set, but here are my thoughts.
- A 100% commitment to supporting the congregational DNA (mission, values, vision)
- A commitment to intentional adult spiritual development by participating in a small group or a micro group (partner or three-person accountability)
- A commitment to support the congregation with time, talent, treasure, and testimony… and attendance
- A commitment to honor the responsibilities due the leadership position: attend committee meetings, attend events, etc. that the leadership position expects
- A commitment to being a team player – no parking lot, after session, email, or telephone meetings that undermine a leadership decision. If the leader is unable to live with the majority rule, then integrity demands their resignation and probably their departure from the congregation.
- A commitment to stepping down if they are unable to keep the leadership covenants due to decision or life circumstances… with the understanding that if they do not step down, they will be removed for the good of the individual, the good of the ministry they’re involved in, and the good of the church.
Question: What would you add to your church’s leadership covenant? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.
I’m not sure if it would be something to add but commitment to having an accountability person outside the church for heathy discussions that will not affect the church such as venting.
I just know that parking lot discussions should not happen but if we vented to others not about people but situations, maybe the accountability partner could help with perspectfive.
Not sure there is much to add although maybe setting up a leadership committee, as you have suggested, to meet every month to keep me informed and on the right path for the church. This would be good so that we can keep the church going in the right direction and maybe not get to the point of dissension within the members.
i dont have anything to add but would ask if there is a way of teaching the responsibility committment. So many times someone will take on a task and at the last minute will have an excuse to forget that responsibilty. i know i might be talking of minor things like taking minutes at the meeting or writing them up afterwards and it doesnt get done but maybe a study on the teachings of scripture to responsibilty.